Date:      11 Jul 2002 11:33:43 -0400
From:      Christopher Nehren <apeiron@prophecy.dyndns.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sound not working anymore.

I have an SiS 7018 integrated soundcard that used to work with FreeBSD
up until a week ago or so. That's when the problem started. Five to ten
minutes into the running of the system after a reboot, I get this error
message:

pcm0:play:0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead

I've checked the kernel source for this, and it seems to be related to
the hz variable (the error message is given if count is less than zero,
and count is set to equal hz earlier in the function).

I know, "Is your soundcard broke?" The answer is no -- I've checked it
under a WinXP installation and it worked fine. Any ideas what could be
causing the system to stop generating sound after 5 minutes or so? The
card works fine for a few minutes after boot-up, but then dies and
floods my dmesg with the error above. Thanks in advance for any help
regarding this.

Regards,
Chris Nehren