Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 1999 18:04:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Call for testers for ADMtek AL981 fast ethernet driver

This is a call for testers for the if_al driver for the ADMtek AL981
"Comet" 10/100 ethernet chip. This chip is fairly new, so I don't know
how many people actually have boards with them, but if you have one
please give the driver a try. I have only tested 10Mbps at this point
since I can't test anything else at home. The driver is at:

http://www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/ADMtek/3.0

To add it, do the following:

- Download if_al.c and if_alreg.h and copy them to /sys/pci
- Edit /sys/conf/files and add a line that says:
pci/if_al.c		optional al device-driver
- Edit your kernel config (e.g. /sys/i386/conf/GENERIC) and add a
  line that says:
device al0
- Compile a new kernel and boot it.

This driver should work on FreeBSD 3.0 and up, though I have not
tested it with the new bus stuff (it still uses the old PCI interface
mechanism). FreeBSD/i386 and FreeBSD/alpha are both supported.

(I do plan to make a 2.2.x version soon, as well as convert the other
drivers to the new bus architecture. Just at the moment I have too
many other things to do.)

The AL981 is yet another tulip style clone. Unlike the real tulip,
the AL981's receive filter is programmed using registers; there's one
perfect filter entry for the station address and a 64-bit multicast
hash table. The AL981 has a built-in 10/100Mbps transceiver with
pseudo-MII interface. It also supports power management and wake
on lan. Very nice programming documentation is available from
http://www.admtek.com.tw. The AL981 has one downside, which is
that like all the other taiwanese chips, it doesn't decode all of
the bits in the RX DMA buffer address, which means that receive
buffers must be longword aligned. This makes life a little difficult
on the alpha, but at least this limitation is properly documented
in the manual.

A big thanks to ADMtek for sending me two test boards and for making
their documentation freely available.

As usual, if you have problems, please let me know at
wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu.

-Bill