Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2002 14:51:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
To:        keramida@ceid.upatras.gr
Cc:        bts@babbleon.org, scottro@nyc.rr.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/share/examples

Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> said:
>Is this really necessary?  I mean, I would expect the share/examples
>files to still be there.  I don't have a 4.6-RELEASE CD-ROM image
>handy, but I mounted my 4.4-RELEASE disk under /cdrom and see what I
>found out:

With the 4.6-1 CD mounted under /cdrom:
ripper@laverne 507$ cat bin.[a-z][a-z] | tar ztvf - | grep share/examples | grep ppp.conf
ripper@laverne 508$
ripper@laverne 509$ cat bin.[a-z][a-z] | tar ztvf - | grep share/examples | grep ppp
drwxr-xr-x root/wheel             0 Jun 11 00:17 2002 usr/share/examples/isdn/i4brunppp/
drwxr-xr-x root/wheel             0 Jun 11 00:17 2002 usr/share/examples/ppp/
drwxr-xr-x root/wheel             0 Jun 11 00:17 2002 usr/share/examples/pppd/
ripper@laverne 510$

Also, if I mount 4.6-2 the live file system and look in share/examples it
is likewise underpopulated.

Without the examples files, the handbook's instructions for setting up
ppp cannot be followed.

The ppp-primer currently presents a sample file which is bad too.  I
made a pr on this recently when I discovered it.  I volunteer to make
the patch to the ppp-primer if there isn't a designated maintainer
already tasked with this.

This situation pretty much prevents someone new to FreeBSD from
getting ppp working if they use this release.  I believe that, in
theory, every release should be self-contained enough that someone can
install it and get on the internet to find help for anything else.  Is
that too much to want?

-r