Date:      Mon, 02 Oct 2000 10:40:56 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Jeff Duffy <jeff@alanne.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Signal 4 while compiling 4.1.1

>  While I look for cooling issues on the K6-III, I'm still going to try a
> 4.1-STABLE  and a 4.1.1-STABLE buildworld on another K6-II 500 machine I
> have, to generate some empirical data on the issue. If both compile
> cleanly, I'll post the info so at least I can kill the thread I
> helped start :)

Another thing you might try is totally blowing away your source tree
and getting another copy via an authoritative source.  In cases where
I'm genuinely not sure myself, I also blow away the host environment
(do a fresh install) and try that.  If I still get a compilation
error, I then figure that's a clear smoking gun.  This may seem like a
rather onerous set of steps to go through, but the set of
inter-dependencies between the host compilation environment and the
target source tree is so huge that literally anything can happen if
the littlest thing is unsynched.  It also helps to have a test box
one can completely blow away, of course..

- Jordan