Date:      Thu, 22 Dec 2011 13:28:41 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        "Dag-Erling =?utf-8?q?Sm=C3=B8rgrav?=" <des@des.no>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, freebsd-threads@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Patch] C1X threading support

On Thursday, December 22, 2011 11:59:13 am Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav wrote:
> John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> writes:
> > Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav <des@des.no> writes:
> > > susceptible to race conditions
> > How so?
>=20
> I should have specified "if called from a thread that does not own the
> mutex"

You can do the same check as mtx_assert_held() internally and fail the unlo=
ck=20
request in that case (or abort or what have you).

> > > susceptible to race conditions
> > How so?
>=20
> I was going to point out that the state of the mutex can change between
> the two asserts, but as you say, at least one of them is guaranteed to
> fail...  *if* you assume that these fields can be read atomically, which
> was one of my objections.

I do think these have to be atomic.  I think lock-field must be able to be=
=20
atomically read by definition.  I think it is not an unreasonable requireme=
nt=20
to have the implementation implement a thread_id that fits in an atomic typ=
e=20
if it is not able to encode the thread_id into the lock cookie itself.

I do think if l->id was not atomic it might be feasible to see a value while
the thread is not locked that is equivalent to the current thread's ID based
on observing different parts of l->id from different writes.  There might b=
e=20
ways the implementation could guard against that however.  In practice thou=
gh=20
I think pointers are atomic with regards to loads and stores on nearly all=
=20
machines.

=2D-=20
John Baldwin