Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 19:43:11 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Dallas De Atley <deatley@apple.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: __P macro question

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 09:49:32AM -0800, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> > You mean like when I compile "grep" and other command line tools
> > on my Amiga using Manx Aztec C, a K&R compiler?
>
> The utter obsolescence of your Amiga aside (heck, I gave my A2500 away
> many years ago), I think I've already made the point that there are
> other sources for grep for these sorts of exercises in retrocomputing.

I strongly disagree that the Amiga is utterly obsolete (I still use my
A1200 :-) ), but Terry's comment is irrelevant anyway.  The reason for
this is that there are several ANSI C compilers available for the Amiga
(including gcc) so there is no need to use a K&R compiler there.

I believe there are very few platforms in active use today that do not
have an ANSI C compiler available. (With the possible exceptions of
CP/M and C64 and older embedded CPUs, none of which I think FreeBSD
need to worry much about.)

On the whole I think there is very little need to worry about K&R
compatibility today.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson