Date:      Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:01:28 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "W. D." <WD@US-Webmasters.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: which 8-port 10/100 hub is best?

--0iexB5Bk8cF8G6DP

On Thursday, 18 March 2004 at 22:54:49 -0600, W. D. wrote:
> At 21:45 3/18/2004, Gary Kline, wrote:
>>
>>	People,
>>
>>	I'm upgrading my hub from a 5-port hub and thought I would check
>>	with this list to see if the Linksys EFAH08W is still a good
>>	deal.  If there is somethng other that would work equally well
>>	on my FreeBSD netwrk, please le me know.  (I've had good luck
>>	with Linksys, but have read some negative comments.....)
>
> If there is a possibility that you will have some heavy traffic
> at times, the best hub is a switch!  You are likely to have
> less bandwidth wasting collisions during high traffic periods.

I'd put it more forcibly than that: hubs are obsolete.  You can find
switches for almost nothing nowadays; don't buy hubs.

And yes, I haven't checked whether the EFAH08W is a switch or a hub.
But I've never had problems with cheap switches, so I would tend to
buy by price.

Greg
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.
Finger grog@FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.