Date:      Mon, 26 May 2008 12:32:29 +0200
From:      Gunther Mayer <gunther.mayer@googlemail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The impossible happened, committing suicide

Joshua Isom wrote:
> On May 19, 2008, at 10:16 AM, Gunther Mayer wrote:
>
>> Assertion failed: (0 && "The impossible happened, committing
>> suicide"), function load_plist, file store_txt.c, line 840.
>> Abort trap
>>
>> Obviously a developer's joke, but I'm concerned that there might be a
>> real problem. Would anybody here have any clue as to why this would
>> occur?
>
> It looks like portsearch is where the assertion fails.  With a cursory
> look, you have a bad plist file for some port and portsearch just dies
> when it gets bad input.  The "best" thing to do would be to patch
> portsearch to figure out what file is causing the problem,
> `s->plist_fn`, and either delete it(assuming portsearch updates it,
> since I seem to have few files starting with plist and it looks as
> though it's trying to load a file named plist I'm assuming it's
> controlled by portsearch) or just reinstall portsearch.
You're right, it is portsearch that's giving the problem, but neither
reinstalling portsearch (upgrading actually) nor a regeneration of its
files seem to work. When I do an "rm -rf /var/db/portsearch &&
portsearch -u" portsearch completes fine, but any subsequent invocations
of "portsearch -u" fail with the same problem. It seems like it
generates the same corrupt data over and over again and next time it
runs it chokes on its own mess...

> But as I said, I just did a cursory look, and I don't use portsearch,
> so I'm only looking at the source code.
Any portsearch users out there?

Gunther