Date:      Sat, 25 May 2002 19:46:18 -0400
From:      Pete Fritchman <petef@databits.net>
To:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Cc:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>, imp@village.org, bts@babbleon.org, kris@obsecurity.org, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, portmgr@FreeBSD.ORG, core@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:  My position on commiters guide 10.4.4

++ 22/05/02 18:15 +0400 - Andrey A. Chernov:
| On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 17:41:25 +0400, Andrey A. Chernov wrote:
|
| > he (porter) must do part of security officer work.
|
| Moreover, not each porter have needed qualification for that work.
|
| I mean, this is responsibility question.
|
| I have needed qualification and for that reason I see how big amount of
| work needs to be done in that way, this is not simple log message
| "something changed", there detailed analyze of program code flow needed.
| And I can't take that responsibility due to lack of resources and
| interest.
|
| For example, binary daemon changed. I can't say that it is secure as
| before without full testing cycle. And I don't want to do that cycle. And
| I can't produce simple log message saing "something change there and
| there, all is Ok". Because I know that something can be fishy here.

Right, so if you can't do this yourself nothing says you can't email
ports@ and ask if someone who uses the application or knows the code a
bit better can help you review the changes.  If nobody responds, oh
well, don't commit the update.. but someone (maybe even the author) may
reply saying "oh, that fixes bug id #<whatever>".

--pete

--
Pete Fritchman [petef@(databits.net|freebsd.org|csh.rit.edu)]
finger petef@databits.net for PGP key