Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 1999 09:31:22 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Christopher J. Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
Subject:   Re: CVS repository for 'make world'?

On Saturday, 19 June 1999 at 11:48:16 -0400, Christopher J. Michaels wrote:
> Hi,
> I've done a little more reading about the process of doing a 'make release'.
> I understand that I have to have the whole CVS repository on my drive before
> I can doa 'make release'.

I didn't know that, but it's possible.  'make release' is still deep
magic.

> Now, my questions is, can I use the CVS repository on my harddrive
> for 'make world's also?

Well, indirectly.  You have to check out a version first.  But you
have to do that for make release as well.

> All of the files that a regular cvsup would have, are also in the
> CVS that I downloaded, aren't they?

I'm not sure I understand the question.  But the repository contains
everything.

> Is there some why I can just use those instead, or do I have to
> setup a cvsup server on my machine and then use cvsup locally to
> synchronize my /usr/src directory?

In both cases, once you have your repository up to date, you check out
a version and run 'make world' or 'make release'.

Greg