Date:      Sat, 5 Aug 2000 16:44:16 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        David@SkytrackerCanada.com
Cc:        bsd <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Subject: setting of TERM variable in X

On Sat, Aug 05, 2000 at 11:12:04AM -0400, David Banning wrote:
> On review - I realize my problem was not from a standard $TERM setting
> but rather when I "su -" to root - then TERM is set to 'cons25'
> Well, I created a file .Xdefaults and put 'XTerm*TermName: xterm-color'
> in it
> as you suggested - which does not work,
>
> but I realize now that since my question was wrong - maybe your answer
> won't work.

Let me get this right. You start X and an xterm as a normal user and
$TERM is set to ``xterm'', yes?

You then ``su -'' to root and $TERM is now ``cons25''?

If so then that's not what happens here:

/usr/marko{115}% echo $TERM
xterm-color
/usr/marko{116}% su -
Password:
/usr/root{101}# echo $TERM
xterm-color
/usr/root{102}#

Can you post what the above shows on your machine?

> Mark Ovens wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 04, 2000 at 06:30:00PM -0400, David Banning wrote:
> > >
> > > My TERM variable is still set to cons25 even when I am in X
> > > How can I change to xterm - (other than doing it manually)
> > >
> > > Is there a .profile type script for X which I could
> > > 'setenv TERM xterm' ?
> >
> > Try adding this to ~/.Xdefaults or ~/.Xresources:
> >
> > XTerm*TermName: xterm-color
> >
> > remove ``-color'' if you really want a mono xterm :)

  If I buy a copy of WinDelete, and it doesn't delete Windows,
  am I entitled to my money back?