Date:      Sun, 14 Nov 1999 09:46:57 +0000
From:      Richard Morte <ric@sinclairassoc.force9.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   DNS and resolv.conf

I have named running on a local server with private subnet 192.168.120

DNS has been working fine for over a month now, but recently I have
started getting error messages ('cannot connect to host') when _first_
connecting to the internet and when first accessing mail accounts at our
ISP. A 2nd try always succeeds in resolving a name to IP address.

I had a single entry in resolv.conf :
    domain at.home

but removed this because I kept seeing entries such as
'home.netscape.com.at.home' in the named logs. All seemed well for about
a week. Now I see 'at.home' appended occasionally to DNS lookups outside
the local subnet. Testing the DNS with nslookup works fine every time
for both local(private) and internet-wide names and addresses.

I am wondering if the problem lies with resolv.conf?

I have had various entries in there at one time or another. I deleted
the DNS entries (forwarders) for our ISP some time ago because it seemed
to cause numerous spontaneous dialups. After deleting these entries the
dialups ceased.

Now that I have deleted the 'domain' entry, resolv.conf is empty.

So just what should go in there?

Regards,

Ric