Date:      Sat, 20 Mar 1999 16:59:04 -0500
From:      Peter Schwenk <schwenk@voicenet.com>
To:        Michael Maxwell <drwho@xnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printing and ppbus?

Michael:

The same thing is happening with me and my HP LaserJet
4L.  Here's my dmesg:

*** Begin ***
ppc0 at 0x378 irq 7 on isa
ppc0: SMC FDC37C665GT chipset (ECP/EPP/PS2/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppc0: FIFO with 16/16/15 bytes threshold
ppb0: IEEE1284 device found /NIBBLE
Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
ppbus0: <Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 4L> HP ENHANCED PCL5,PJL
nlpt0: <generic printer> on ppbus 0
nlpt0: Interrupt-driven port
ppi0: <generic parallel i/o> on ppbus 0
*** End ***

I don't see any new devices in my /dev directory to
reflect the new devices in the 3.1 kernel.  I installed
3.1 from CD and installed the Ghostscript 5.50 package from CD.
I was using my script from FBSD 2.2.x days:

*** Begin ***
#  Treat LF as CR+LF
#
printf "\033&k2G" || exit 2

#
#  Read first two characters of the file
#
read first_line
first_two_chars=`expr "$first_line" : '\(..\)'`

if [ "$first_two_chars" = "%!" ]; then
    #
    #  It is PostScript; use Ghostscript to scan-convert and print it
    #
    /usr/local/bin/gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=ljet3 -sOutputFile=-
- \
        && exit 0

else
    #
    #  Plain text or HP/PCL, so just print it directly; print a form
    #  at the end to eject the last page.
    #
    echo $first_line && cat && printf "\f" && exit 0
fi
exit 2
*** End ***

Here's my printcap entry:
lp|lj4l|PostScript|HP LaserJet 4L on lpt0:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd/lj4l:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
        :if=/usr/local/libexec/hpif:

I was beginning to wonder it I needed to MAKEDEV a nlpt0 device, but
that
doesn't seem possible.

I'm trying building the kernel with the old lpt0 device in it, but that
seems stupid.

Does anyone have updated printing instructions using the new kernel
devices?

- Peter Schwenk
- schwenk@voicenet.com

Michael Maxwell wrote:

[snip]

> However, on FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE, if I print postscript, I now see the
> first few lines of text normally, then things start to fall apart.  A
> lot of what looks like unprintable control characters start spewing out
> of the printer (looks like someone lpr'ed a binary file).

[snip]