Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:43:02 -0300
From:      Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez <rnsanchez@wait4.org>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+mill@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org, Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>, ports@freebsd.org, Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Subject:   Re: what is gio-fam?

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:03:18 -0400
Mikhail Teterin <mi+mill@aldan.algebra.com> wrote:

> вівторок 15 квітень 2008 08:55 до, Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez Ви написали:
> > Not quite.  I also faced this, but was lucky to discover in time (not
> > closing any open app) where this dependency was coming from.  The only port
> > I had to update was glib, a couple of times, and gio-fam was finally built.
>
> > This was instinctive, but worked.
>
> "A couple of times"? Congratulations...

Thanks.

> One should not need this luck, nor this instinct, however.

It wasn't luck, I usually upgrade a few ports before launching a bunch of upgrades.  Glib build broke during some other port upgrade, and I checked what happened.  Updated its dependencies, itself forcibly, and then resumed the other port.

> Until I decide to upgrade gnome, all other gnome-using ports should be content
> with the version of gnome I already have...
>
> This is all patently obvious, I might add. The automatic gio-fam dependency
> should be made smarter and/or optional (depending on which gnome is already
> installed).
>
> Going forward, one hopes, gnome-team will not be so cavalier in forcing
> upgrades...

How about working with the gnome-team instead of blaming them?  I'd bet that if you had to upgrade Gnome by hand, you would be using KDE or something else.

Shouting at gnome-team won't help at all.

--
Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez
rnsanchez@wait4.org                 http://rnsanchez.wait4.org

  "Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse."