Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 1997 18:52:30 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   another lingering weirdness

This has been around for quite a while, but I always chalked it up to
header file mismatches.  On my system, the mixer(1) command doesn't
have the right mapping of labels to inputs.  For instance:

louie@whizzo[79] $ mixer
Mixer synth    is currently set to  26:26
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  58:58
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  84:84
Mixer line     is currently set to  65:65
Mixer mic      is currently set to  64:64
Mixer cd       is currently set to  26:26
Mixer mix      is currently set to  11:11
Mixer igain    is currently set to   9:9
louie@whizzo[80] $

The thing listed as "cd" isn't; to change the level of the audio
coming from the CDROM drive audio connection you have to fiddle with the
"synth" mixer input.

At least the "pcm" mixer control corresponds to the right thing, as does
the "line" mixer input.

This is with a GUS PnP board:

louie@whizzo[82] $ cat /dev/sndstat
VoxWare Sound Driver:3.5-alpha15-970806 (Wed Aug  6 22:58:35 PDT 1997 Amancio
Hasty@rah.star-gate.com)
Config options:

Installed drivers:
Type 4: Gravis Ultrasound

Card config:
Gravis Ultrasound at 0x230 irq 11 drq 5,7

Audio devices:
0: GUS PNP (CS4231) (DUPLEX)
1: Gravis UltraSound (DUPLEX)

Synth devices:
0: Gravis PNP (1024k)

Midi devices:
0: Gravis UltraSound Midi

Timers:
0: System clock
1: GUS

Mixers:
0: AD1848/CS4248/CS4231
1: Gravis Ultrasound
louie@whizzo[83] $

If the API could be reworked (or perhaps just augmented), it would be nice
to be able to ask the driver on the system what the mapping was rather
than rely on constants in the header file.  I guess in a perfect world
this wouldn't be a problem, but in my world, it's not doing the right
thing :-)   Inevitablely, the magic numbers in the header files have to
be "right" to ensure compatibility with the voxware and OSS drivers..

louie