Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 2002 15:10:53 -0400
From:      Dylan Carlson <absinthe@pobox.com>
To:        Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.org>, Nick Johnson <freebsd@spatula.net>, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports and /usr/local/java

On Friday 16 August 2002 02:47pm, Ernst de Haan wrote:

> See my proposed solution. It's pretty much alike.

I like your proposal.  I will fold it into the docs today and if the various
maintainers don't feel it's amenable we can revise it.

Eventually it should be folded into hier(7).  The problem with that manpage is
that it does not fully define the structure of /usr/local except to say that
it should follow /usr.

> Anyway, the developer community calls a JDK a JDK, because that's the term
> everybody got used to, and it's much easier than saying Java 2 SDK or Java
> 2 SE SDK or anything like that. Don't forget that we're dealing with J2SE
> here, not J2EE or J2ME or anything like that...

I have changed the documentation to reflect SDK for Sun 1.2.x 1.3.x and 1.4.x
to be consistent with Sun's pages, and am addressing the SDK/JDK naming issue
in the FAQ.

Cheers,
--
Dylan Carlson [absinthe@pobox.com]