Date:      Tue, 20 Sep 2011 09:21:49 +0700
From:      Victor Sudakov <vas@mpeks.tomsk.su>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need an audio multicasting solution

RW wrote:

> > > You can use videolan / vlc. It allows you to multicast video too.
> > > In September 2011 BSD Magazine you have some examples about that.
> >
> > I like vlc on Linux/Windows machines. But installing it to a streaming
> > server is a pain. Even if you disable all options in "make config", it
> > still tries to build scores of dependencies including some components
> > of the X Window system. Not nice.
>
> did you try setting  WITH_SERVER_ONLY?

Actually, setting WITH_SERVER_ONLY only sets 4 options

WITHOUT_LUA=yes
WITHOUT_QT4=yes
WITH_RUNROOT=yes
WITHOUT_XCB=yes

which I have set anyway. The number of dependencies is still
appalling.

In fact, I have found a solution with ffmpeg, the example command
lines are:

ffmpeg -i file.mp3 -acodec copy -f rtp rtp://239.8.8.8:5000 -re
ffmpeg -f oss -i /dev/dsp -acodec mp2 -f rtp rtp://239.8.8.8:5000 -re

ffmpeg should be compiled WITH_LAME. Multicast stream playback has
been tested with vlc (Windows XP, Fedora Linux) and mplayer (FreeBSD 8).

In more detail in Russian:
http://victor-sudakov.dreamwidth.org/68437.html
http://victor-sudakov.dreamwidth.org/68975.html
http://victor-sudakov.dreamwidth.org/69243.html