Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 2020 09:07:08 +1000
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, Shawn Webb <shawn.webb@hardenedbsd.org>
Subject:   Refactoring calendar(1) (was: svn commit: r365984 - head/usr.bin/calendar/calendars)

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM

[Trimmed]

People, please adjust your posts.  It's hard fighting your way through
a lot of expired verbiage.

On Wednesday, 23 September 2020 at  9:18:27 -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 7:43 AM Shawn Webb <shawn.webb@hardenedbsd.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Would it make sense to prune calendar entries to only BSD-related
>> entries?
>
> Fortunately, I have already contacted grog@ directly. He was quite
> receptive to my email suggesting something be done. After a couple of
> rounds, there's the rough plan we're talking about. Briefly:
>
> 1. ...
>
> So, it's just an outline at this time, which is why I hadn't sent a
> concrete proposal here just yet. Wanted to at least get a list of
> the files that would remain so we can have an intelligent discussion
> about those, but since this showed up I thought I'd send a heads up
> so people know what's going on.

The real issue is: what do we remove?  Summarizing imp@'s points, I
think that the base functionality of calendar(1) should stay, and so
should the FreeBSD-related calendar files.  There's really a question
as to whether the non-FreeBSD related ones should remain anywhere
(including as a port).  As somebody said, they're a relict of a bygone
day, and some are very inaccurate.  I seem to be the only one
maintaining them, and even that is not without criticism.  It might be
a better idea to write a completely new port that sucks in calendar
entries from *somewhere* and makes BSD-compliant calendar files out of
them.  So, as imp@ says, it would be good to discuss which files
should go and which should remain.

While I have your attention, does anybody think that the -a option of
calendar(1) is worth keeping?  It goes through *all* calendar files on
a system and mails them to the owner.  It has the interesting side
effect (we wouldn't want to call it a bug) that root gets three copies
(one each for root, toor and daemon).  I can't see anything useful
there that a per-user cron job can't do.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM