Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 1999 14:42:24 +0200
From:      Thierry Herbelot <Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr>
To:        "Christopher J. Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
Subject:   Re: CVS repository for 'make world'?

"Christopher J. Michaels" wrote:

[SNIP]

Here's what I found on the list (I used it for my first "make release"
one week ago)

Subject: Re: Problem with "make release" - Solved
   Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 22:16:03 +0200 (CEST)
   From: N <niels@bakker.net>
     To: freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG

The final guide on how to do a `make release' and convert it into
something suitable for burning onto a CD-R for 3.1-STABLE.

First of all, please consider buying your CD's at Walnut Creek, or any
vendor that supports the FreeBSD project.  They are the companies that
help make FreeBSD possible.  If you won't (or can't), *please* make a
donation directly.  Thanks!

On with the show:-

   (1)  Find a place with around 1.7 GB of space, and be sure you don't
        mount it with the `nodev' option.

   (2)  Make sure you have the results of a `make buildworld' from the
        sources you wish to release in /usr/obj.

   (3)  Read the Handbook and FAQ, especially
<URL:http://www.freebsd.org/
        FAQ/FAQ237.html#239>.  Note that you will need to add
`src-crypto'
        to the supfile shown there.

   (4)  Run cvsup.  A complete copy of the CVS tree currently is 615 MB.
        cvsup itself needs another 5 to store data for itself.  If you
        place this data somewhere else than the partition from step 1
you
        can substract the appropriate amount from the figure mentioned
        there.  Putting the CVS tree someplace else than where the build
        will end up is a nice performance boost as well.

   (5)  cd /usr/src/release; DATE=`date +%Y%m%d` CVSROOT=/home/ncvs \
        time make release BUILDNAME=3.1-${DATE}-SNAP \
        CHROOTDIR=/lots/of/space/rel RELEASETAG=RELENG_3

   (7)  After several long hours you'll have about 1 GB worth of files
in
        /lots/of/space/rel, including a directory R/cdrom/.

   (8)  Copy some stuff to R/cdrom/disc1/ from ftp.freebsd.org (or any
        mirror) - I add compat22, CVSup, tools, CERT and XFree86, and a
        .tar.gz of the CVS tree, to fill things up a bit.  You can also
        populate a packages directory, for example.

   (9)  Run /usr/share/examples/worm/makecdfs.sh with suitable
arguments:
        makecdfs.sh -b FreeBSD-${DATE}-SNAP
/lots/of/space/rel/R/cdrom/disc1 \
        /var/run/freebsd.iso "FreeBSD, Inc."

  (10)  Burn the resulting image (some 400 MB) onto a CD-R, with
cdrecord.
        You can change the makecdfs.sh script to pipe its output
directly
        to cdrecord, saving you space and probably costing you a CD-R:
        mkisofs -a -l -L -R -r <filesys> | \
        (sleep 300; cdrecord -v speed=4 -data -dev=XXX -)

Hopefully, you now have a bootable CD-R.  I don't think I forgot to
mention any steps I took in the process of building one myself (that did
work fine in the end). I hope this will save someone somewhere some
time,
it certainly made me respect JKH even more. :-)

Any comments appreciated.  I still don't know how to include the tools
directory automatically, why compat22 isn't built, or what to change to
make some ports a default part of the system (like ssh, of course a
unique
host key should be generated during the install).

Cheers,

        -- Niels.

-
Thierry Herbelot <thierry.herbelot@alcatel.fr>