Date:      Wed, 05 May 1999 11:02:35 -0500
From:      "Dale Anderson" <danderso@crystalsugar.com>
To:        <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PCWeek article by Anne Chen -- Comments

   I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "Not bright enough to =
understand ????"   What  us IT people mean, is that running an application =
under emulation means it will run a little slower, as that middle =
abstraction layer has to emulate and that takes CPU cycles.  Another =
reason is that if you talk to some sort of tech support for a product that =
isn't running quite right under emulation, they will just tell us to "Go =
get the real platform to run it on."
  Also, are applications need to run all the time, everytime.  Users don't =
understand the concept of downtime, and often our job performance is rated =
on up-time.
  For these reasons, we like native applications over "Emulated enviroments=
."

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Josef Grosch wrote:

> On Tue, May 04, 1999 at 10:50:37PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> > It does reflect the weaknesses in the current marketing and promotion
> > of FreeBSD. In particular, the article mentions the lack of native
> > application support. (Running Linux binaries under emulation isn't=20
> > acceptable to the IT crowd; the platform must be SUPPORTED by the=20
> > application vendor.)

I've been using FreeBSD for years and have no objection to running Linux
programs in emulation mode.  However, I have seen this by IT people
before.  Maybe it would be more advantagous to rephrase it as "Native
Linux Binary" support or something similar just to catch those in IT who
aren't bright enough to understand what that means.

Jamie