Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:10:45 +0100
From:      v.demartino2@virgilio.it
To:        "FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "postgresql" <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Subject:   Samba not showing public share et al.

Server Box ():
Pentium 3
FreeBSD 5.3
Samba 3.0.7
connection to a windows 2000 LAN

Samba on the freebsd side has the following smb.conf:

[global]
   workgroup =3D MYCO
#
   server string =3D VicBSD
   load printers =3D no
   log file =3D /var/log/samba/log.%m
   log level =3D 1
   max log size =3D 50
   security =3D user
    nt acl support =3D no
        null passwords =3D yes
  encrypt passwords =3D yes
  smb passwd file =3D /usr/local/private/smbpasswd
   wins server =3D 192.168.201.122 192.168.201.121

[homes]
    read only=3Dno
[public]
comment =3D %h Shared Public Directory
   path =3D /home/public
   force directory mode =3D 0777
   force create mode =3D 0777
   force group =3D nobody
   force user =3D nobody
   public =3D yes
   writeable =3D yes
   read only =3D no
   browseable =3D yes

I gave /home/public permissions r,w,x for all the users and issued a 'smb=
password
-a -n nobody'.

With this configuration I can easily and reliably connect to my home shar=
providing a password.

BUT, I and other users are unable to connect from our Win2k or XP Pro box=
es
directly to the public share. As a matter of fact windows:

1) Shows all the shares including an 'invented' nobody share not defined
elsewhere. This happens while I put browseable=3Dyes only in the [public]=

section of smb.conf and not in each share.
2) If we ask to connect to \\vicbsd\public I'm prompted for a userid and
password. Only giving the 'nobody' userid is possible to connect to the
share from within windows boxes. I mean not directly without being prompt=
ed.

Why is that 1) and 2) and what should I do to connect without being promp=
ted
for userid and password?

Ciao
Vittorio