Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 08:34:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, scrappy@hub.org, beyssac@enst.fr, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Known MMAP() race conditions ... ?

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, David Schwartz wrote:

:
:> 	I can give you a list of things from my experience (not a
:> webmaster.com employee). Threads, SMP, NFS, and purify. I can't think of
:> anything NT does better than any unix though. :)
:
:	Large RAID arrays. 4-way SMP. Applications requiring large numbers of
:threads. Log-based system. There's nothing I know of in any UNIX that comes
:close to NT's completion ports for efficient network I/O.

Irix can do all that, and use different familys and speeds in the same
box.  Want to mix 200mhz R10k's and 250mhz R12k's in your Origin2k?  Go
for it.  We have a half a terrabyte RAID onsite at NASA LaRC, hanging off
an Irix box.  That machine has more processors than NT can handle.  Oh,
and it doesn't go down.

Jamie Bowden

--

If we've got to fight over grep, sign me up.  But boggle can go.
	-Ted Faber (on Hasbro's request for removal of /usr/games/boggle)