Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 2002 09:07:47 -0800
From:      "Adam Lofstedt" <adaml@visimation.com>
To:        "'dick hoogendijk'" <dick@nagual.st>, "'freebsd-questions'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: adduser ownership of mounted home directory

> > I am trying to put user's home directories onto a mounted windows
> > share (mounting via smbfs).  When I run the adduser script (and
> > specify /mountedshare/username as the home directory) it
> doesn't set
> > the ownership of the home directory to the user.  Root
> still owns the
> > folder.  If I add a user to the usual /home directory it works fine.
>
> Do you expect windows to honour the *NIX permission flags?
> Only ntfs comes close but differs too. So, what you want is
> not possible afaik.

I don't really care about windows honoring the *NIX permissions.  When
the share is mounted via smbfs at boot, it is mounted as a single
windows user, so essentially all FreeBSD users are connecting to the
windows box as the same windows user.  If I understand correctly the
UNIX and Windows permissions are two different systems that run
independently of each other (except for those cases where the
permissions conflict).  Windows shouldn't care who the UNIX owner is, it
is only concerned about who is connecting to the machine via the network
with that particular username and password.

I don't know why adduser correctly sets the ownership of the home
directories in /usr/home, but not in my mounted directory, which is in
/mountedshare?  I tried moving /mountedshare inside /usr, but that
didn't work either.