Date:      Mon, 7 Jun 2004 01:14:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Luke <luked@pobox.com>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please help me understand pciutils output

>> I suspect that my PCI bus is incompatible with some of the PCI cards I'm
>> trying to use with it.  The motherboard was made in 1996 and these cards
>> are all much newer.  One of the cards gives USB 2.0 support, but I'm not
>> getting anywhere near USB 2.0 speed out of the USB 2.0 devices I plug into
>> it.
>
> More details about the USB performance in terms of numbers you are seeing
> from some benchmark would be very useful.

I agree.  How can I benchmark my just my USB controller?

Right now all I can say is that I've got a Netgear FA120 network interface
plugged into a USB port and I can't squeeze more than 4Mb/s out of it.
It's USB 2.0 compliant and should get close to 100Mb/s.  I get faster
results out of my old 10Mb ISA card.

That's not necessarily any indication of a problem with the USB
controller, but I don't know how to rule it out.  At this point I'm
suspicious of every piece of hardware and software in the box.

It may very well be a problem with the Netgear device.  The box claims it
may not be compatible with some laptop "pc card" USB 2.0 controllers based
on the NEC chip.  My USB controller isn't in a laptop but it is run by an
NEC chip.  The Indian gentleman at Netgear's call center couldn't give me
any more information about the incompatibility than what was printed on
the box, and I don't have any other USB 2.0 controllers to test with, so I
don't know if that's the problem or not.