Date:      Mon, 03 Apr 2000 16:55:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org, Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Subject:   Re: make world failed

On 03-Apr-00 Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> Doug Barton once stated:
>
> = The actual problem  was that you stuck  to that web page  as your only
> =source of  information. Right  at the  very top of  that page,  in bold
> =letters it  says that  you need  to subscribe to  and read  the -stable
> =and/or -current  mailing lists before  trying to track -stable.  If you
> =had  done  that,  you  would  have  seen  ample  discussion  about  the
> =particular problems related to that upgrade.
>
> Soon, we'll  read, that one needs  to follow this mailing  lists to even
> use  FreeBSD. This  is wrong  -- the  original poster  is not  "tracking
> -stable", by which I mean regular  rebuilds. He merely wanted to go from
> one release to another -- once. And did it the way he always did before,
> after consulting the same information sources he consulted before.

I think that in that situation you should probably still read -stable.
However, the existence of UPDATING and its meaning wasn't communicated well
to the mass population of -stable users.  The main reason is that UPDATING
is mainly useful for people running -current, as -current tends to have a
lot more bumps in the road that have to be worked around.  However, 3.x
has also had an UPDATING file, albeit one that doesn't have much in it since
-stable really wasn't the original intended target, so UPDATING wasn't
completely hidden.

During the 2.2.x -> 3.x upgrade, the only truly bonafide place to get the
instructions was the -stable mailing list at first.  Later on it worked its
way out into various web pages, etc.  I expect that we will see the same
pattern here.  The actual instructions for the upgrade path was mainly
hashed out on -current and added to UPDATING, and then discussed on -stable.
Now it is filtering out to web pages and other sites.

Probably a note in the make world tutorial about make world not being useful
for branch upgrades would help, however.  If people knew that they needed to
wait for different instructions for the branch upgrades, then people would
(hopefully) wait for the finalized set of instructions to filter out of the
mailing lists and into web sites and what not.

Feel free to disagree with any of the above. :)