Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:33:44 +0200
From:      Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.Strobl@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Rob <robert@irrelevant.com>
Subject:   Re: 5.3b7 and ata raid1 - how?

--nextPart2327864.n4HPooNnBL

Am Mittwoch, 20. Oktober 2004 13:04 schrieb Rob:
> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to set up a new machine, from 5.3b7 ISOs.  This machine has a
> SiL 0680 based IDE RAID1 card in it, on which I have two 80Gb Maxtor driv=
es
> - ad4 and ad6.
>
> I have set up the mirroring in the IDE card's BIOS, however FreeBSD does
> not recognise the raid, instead presenting me with an installation target
> of ad4 or ad6.
>
> This was the same under 4.10, however I just installed a minimum system on
> ad4, ran `atacontrol create RAID1 ad4 ad6` and re-ran installation,
> whereupon it spotted ar0 and offered me this as an installation
> target.  Under 5.3b7 this is not happening:  Although `atacontrol status
> ar0` reports READY immediately after creating the raid, after doing this
> and just rebooting into the minimum system again the same command shows
> Device not configured.
>
> Is ata RAID1 therefore broken on 5.3b7 ??  This is straight off the ISOs

Yes, ataraid for many sil0680 (and 649) cards is broken.
See my latest PR: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D72897

I also reported it back in July:
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=3D1876414+0+archive/2004/freeb=
sd-current/20040704.freebsd-current
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=3D199650+0+archive/2004/freebs=
d-current/20040711.freebsd-current

Since nobody seemed to care about I started another thread:
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=3D370257+0+archive/2004/freebs=
d-current/20040718.freebsd-current

=46or 5-stable it's too late, but anyway, the ata performance doesn't allow=
 me=20
to use it for production environment. See the FreeBSD '5.3b7and poor ata=20
performance' thread here (e. g.=20
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=3D1554285+0+current/freebsd-cu=
rrent)

=2DHarry