Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 95 11:22:17 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        jkh@violet.berkeley.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: any interest?

> >The usual way under SunOS is 'mkfile 4m /some/file'. This way
> >no disk blocks are allocated until they are actually needed.
> >Here is a clone implementation of mkfile, done by Robert Claeson
> >(prc@erbe.se).
>
>    Swapfiles should be pre-allocated to maximize contiguousness.

Not to metion keeping the machines head from exploding when your
disk is full and you need to swap more than you have swapped
previously.

Remember that with an overcommit architecture, failure to acquire
needed swap means some process dies, and it's not necessarily
the process that caused you to run out; it's pretty much any
process (that's actually doing something) at random.

There's also no guarantee that a swap file isn't "special"... that
is, that the system will be able to recover gracefully from suddenly
finding out that it has less swap available than it thought it had.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.