Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:59:54 -0800
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        tristan <tristan.nav@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: free bsd license

On Feb 15, 2010, at 10:38 AM, tristan wrote:
> is the FreeBSD-8.0-amd.iso itself under the bsd license?

Mostly; there's a compilation copyright associated with the FreeBSD ISO images, but some of the components of FreeBSD are under the GPL (notably the GCC compiler toolchain), and possibly CDDL for stuff from Sun like ZFS.

> i mean the free bsd operating system, not the software
> i plan to modify then redistribute it, under a new name. it will remain under the same license, with the same copyright docs, but the help or other docs will be gone, my own put in.
> (just trying to give as much details as possible, I'm new to this)

There's nothing wrong with what you propose, although there is or should be a preference towards making improvements with the existing documentation rather than simply forking it and rolling something new.

Regards,
--
-Chuck

PS: IANAL, TINLA.  Cave canem.