Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2001 06:11:25 -0400
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 1st FreeBSD ports install

jim,

> I would like to ask a couple questions about using
> ports.  I've been downloading PostgreSQL7 for the last
> hour or so.. all seems to be going well.  I just cd'ed
> to /usr/ports/databases/postgresql7 then typed make.
> Away it went.  Anyway, do I need to do make build, or
> make install, or make clean?  Thanks..

TFM, which you are recommended to R is the excellent FreeBSD Handbook. In
this case you will want to look at Chaper 4, "Installing Applications:
Packages and Ports", particularly section 4.4.1 "Installing Ports".

In short, run "make" as a regular user to download, patch, configure and
build, then run "make install" as root to install. You can then clean up
with "make clean". Various combinations and permutations will work.

> Also, I know debian linux has a 'apt-getupdate'
> feature to get the latest version.  Can anyone tell me
> if FreeBSD have anything similar?  Maybe another port?

The ports collection is updated regularly. You can keep up-to-date with
the latest ports in the same way as you can keep up with the system
sources using "cvsup". See section 20.3 "Synchronizing Your Source"

As well as the handbook, there are guides, tutorials, man pages and
mailing list archives to help you. The FreeBSD web site
<http://www.FreeBSD.org/>; is a good starting point.

Once you've got the hang of it, you might like to look at the
"portupgrade" port. This will give you the power of ports and some of the
convenience of apt-get.

-Andrew-