Date:      Sun, 01 Apr 2001 04:47:20 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: journaling file system

Technically no, but the main reason to use a journaling FS is for stability
in the face of adversity (such as when power is lost in the middle of a
write)
I have tested UFS (The FreeBSD filesystem) several times by killing the
power during a write. It has never lost data as far as I can tell, and is
certainly a much mor estable filesystem than EXT2 (the reason Journaling is
such a buzzword) or FATxx (the infamous awful filesystem of the Microsoft
world)
With SoftUpdates, UFS is the second fastest filesystem that I have ever
used, second to Irix's filesystem. (Speed measured with streaming large
files, UFS probably beats Irix with many smaller files)
If you need extreme filesystem stability, UFS set to write synchronously is
stable enough to trust with a mission-critical system Of course, you should
also have at least one UPS on that mission critical system too. ;)