Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:24:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@sequence.Stanford.EDU>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   weird lpt problems

System is using the 2.1.5R kernel

1) lpq always says "waiting for laser to become ready (offline ?)"

2) Even if I kill lpd and do a "cat file > /dev/lpt0" I get:
"/dev/lpt0: Device busy." when the laser is idle.

3) Just to be sure it is a not a cable problem, I can bootup in Win95 and
print without any problems in DOS or Windows 95.

4) I have tried playing around with the SPP/ECP/EPP settings and even
changing the parallel port addresses and irqs, but none of the changes help.

5) I have tried setting the lpt flag to 0xff from 0x0 and it does not
help.  Does anyone know what the flag settings mean?

I can not get the "lptest > /dev/lpt0" to work without the same
"/dev/lpt0:  Device busy." message.  I wonder why it keeps saying that
/dev/lpt0 is busy when no device is using it.

Does anyone have any ideas?  This is truly the weirdest problem I have
ever faced because the darn printer will print if I bootup in Win95.

Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions, or any input at all.

----
Here's the /etc/printcap:

#       @(#)printcap    5.3 (Berkeley) 6/30/90

laser|epson|lp|Epson Laser Printer:\