Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2000 17:38:21 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Rick Knebel <rknebel@uplink.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How is freebsd doing

Rick Knebel writes:
> I am considering installing freebsd on my computer instead of linux to run
> my home network. How is Freebsd doing as far as use compared to linux. Is
> it going to be around in 5 years? I just don,t want to get involved with it
> if it is going to fade away.

I'd be very surprised if FreeBSD isn't around in five years. Even so,
Linux is a good hedge, as commercial Linux apps will run on
FreeBSD. The only thing you'll have lost if FreeBSD does die is having
to learn other ways of doing things - which is probably good for you
in any case.

> Also I have heard people say that Linux is a
> kernel with a bunch of added programs to it but freebsd is a complete
> operating system.
> What does this mean? Doesn''t Freebsd have a kernel also?

Yes, FreeBSD has a kernel. Linux has one group doing kernel
development, and a bunch of groups developing distributions by adding
programs to that kernel. FreeBSD has one group doing the kernel &
distribution development. That's what they are referring to.

	<mike