Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2006 22:09:58 +0100
From:      "Ralf Schreijer" <ralf.schreijer@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Lacky Doc @ "5.6.2 Using XDM"

Hi there!

Today I just installed FreeBSD(6.1) for the first time in my life. After several tries on my own I decided to go through the installation by following the instructions in the handbook. I successfully installed and configured Xorg. Everything went well, until I reached the section 5.6.2, "Using XDM". I just tried to follow the instructions and enabled xdm to start running on the 9th virtual terminal by replacing the "off" by "on" in /etc/ttys:
ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secure
in
ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on secure

Now I can't do anything. The system directly boots into the xdm, prompts a loginscreen and if I login as root (or as a user) there is nothing I can do. As I know now there isn't even a chance to leave the xdm. If I hit Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, it flips into the shell an returns immediately to xdm and prompts the login again. I tried fixing this  through booting in Single User Mode, but I wasn't successful because I have no write permission in /etc/ttys during this mode.

I bet it won't be the only solution to reinstall the entire system, isn't it? Since I followed the Documentiation from Install until section 5.6.2, Imho, there is a small warning missing in the documentation. Sth like this: "Beware of enabling the xdm-virtual-terminal because you can only return to the shell while doing sth you dont know yet :-)".

May be you can find some time to send me a feedback or some kind of solution to fix my problem.
Thanks so long.

Ralf

PS: I'm sorry for my english. I hope you could even understand me!