Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 1996 07:52:35 -0700
From:      "M.R.Murphy" <mrm@Mole.ORG>
To:        mrm@mole.mole.org, ptroot@uswest.com
Cc:        kline@tera.com, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 5x86

> This looks great. I've got a related question. In PC Warehouse, there
> is an IT 5x86 plug in, that goes into the 486 or overdrive socket. Will
> this give me a reasonable performance boost? I just have a 486DX2/50 on
> an ISA bus. At around $170, it might be "just the thing".
>
> The ad doesn't explain it, but it is a 5x86 (apparently) on a little
> daughter card that goes into the socket.
>
> My guess is that you'll get a bit better processor performance, but
> not really enough to justify, since I have "old" technology, with
> ISA video and SCSI.
>
> Opinions?

Opinion, worth the paper it's printed on, is that one is better
off to get a new motherboard. Here in San Diego, an AMD 586
motherboard goes for $115US with CPU and 2 8MB SIMMS for $47US
each(today). I think it's better to dump the old MB (and memory if
it's not suitable) and get the new.  Keep the old ISA cards as
required, and replace with VLB or PCI (better) as affordable.
--
Mike Murphy  mrm@Mole.ORG  +1 619 598 5874
Better is the enemy of Good