Date:      Thu, 3 Apr 2003 20:55:10 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        "Kevin A. Pieckiel" <kpieckiel-freebsd-alpha@smartrafficenter.org>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AS1200

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 08:17:52AM -0500, Kevin A. Pieckiel wrote:
> I just acquired an AlphaServer 1200.  This is my first experience with actually
> operating an alpha aside from having a shell account on one.  When it arrives,
> it will have NetBSD; I'm considering putting FreeBSD on it.  Should I decide to
> do so, how can I best help the alpha developers of FreeBSD in regards to testing
> and bug reporting?  I'm a developer who's intimately familiar with ANSI C, but
> I've never attempted to become familiar with kernel code.  I'm willing to spend
> some time on the alpha port since I now own an alpha.  I'm guessing running
> 5.0-current would be helpful, since there are LOTS of untested architectural
> changes in the code....
>
> Or is this best asked on -hackers?

There are not too many people with AS1200 in the FreeBSD community (it
seems, when I looked for testers,  see also
http://www.freebsd.org/~wilko/testhw.html). So as a tester you are more than
welcome :-P

I suggest to play with 4.8 / stable a bit before going to -current. Until
you get more familiar with FreeBSD. -current can be a bit of a rocky ride,
especially on non-x86 architectures.

my €0.02..

W/