Date:      Thu, 07 Jun 2001 14:58:33 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Steve Leibel <stevel@bluetuna.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Delay bringing up telnet window

Steve Leibel wrote:

> I've got this weird problem, maybe somebody can help.
>
> I run FreeBSD on a Pentium-133 on a local network along with my Mac.
> When I run my Mac telnet client and request a session on the FreeBSD
> box, the window comes up right away but there is usually a 20 or 30
> second delay before I get a login prompt.
>
> In the past I've seen the problem where AFTER I enter my userid and
> password there is a long delay.  But that's generally caused by a DNS
> problem.  That's not the problem I'm having.
>
> In my case, the login prompt itself takes a long time to come up.

Interesting ... because any time I've seen the aforementioned DNS
problem, it's occurred before the login prompt.
Can you do a reverse lookup on the machine you're logging in from? For
example, if you login in from 192.168.0.7, once you're logged in, try
"nslookup 192.168.0.7" and see if you get a timeout.

-Bill