Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 2007 11:08:24 +0100
From:      Michele Heurs <michele.heurs@aei.mpg.de>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI problems on HP Compaq nx6325

Joerg Wunsch wrote:
> As Michele Heurs wrote:
>
>> Meanwhile I have freeBSD 6.2 stable (of Monday), but ACPI still
>> doesn't work. Booting with ACPI enabled results in the the system
>> being unresponsive, the mouse is "jumpy" and input is only
>> recognised after long delays or when the mouse is moved.
>
> Sounds a lot like what I've been suffering from as well.
>
> Have a look at PR i386/104678, and the patches referenced there.
> Using these patches, my nx6325 works reasonably well.  Alas, it still
>  appears to burn a lot more energy than when running under Win32, and
>  speedstep doesn't appear to be fully supported.

As I wrote in my last mail (message ID 45B636EE.40602@aei.mpg.de) ACPI
now works, both cores are recognised and I do get some information on
ACPI in dmesg. I haven't yet dealt with speedstep.

> I've got more troubles still (wakeup from suspend mode always
> freezes, sound is only supported by the commercial OSS driver and
> even there, it always mutes the speaker, battery is often not
> properly detected in acpiconf -i0, the ndiswrapper driver for the
> builtin WLAN card panics immediately when loading), but I think you
> have to get the more basic things to run first until we could talk
> about that.

I installed the driver from OSS, but as you described, it always mutes
the speakers. osstest gives perfect output on the headphone jack, but
applications such as xmms or kmplayer don't. kmix doesn't recognise
anything from the sound system.

I have already removed the driver oss-freebsd-v4.0rc8-190-amd64 from
4front. Ariff has a patch on his page
(http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/snd_RELENG_6_20070121_141_lowlatency.diff.gz),
which I have now applied. The debugging messages (which Ariff specifies
on his page) are:

uname -a
FreeBSD draco 6.2-STABLE FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #6: Tue Jan 30 10:39:49 CET
2007     root@draco:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DRACO  amd64

pciconf -lv | grep -B 4 audio

dmesg | grep ^pcm
pcm0: <ATI SB450 High Definition Audio Controller> mem
0xd4408000-0xd440bfff irq 16 at device 20.2 on pci0
pcm0: hdac_mem_alloc: Unable to allocate memory resource

sysctl hw.snd.verbose=2 ; cat /dev/sndstat
hw.snd.verbose: 1 -> 2
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 64bit)
Installed devices:

sysctl hw.snd
hw.snd.latency_profile: 1
hw.snd.latency: 5
hw.snd.report_soft_formats: 1
hw.snd.feeder_buffersize: 16384
hw.snd.feeder_rate_round: 25
hw.snd.feeder_rate_max: 2016000
hw.snd.feeder_rate_min: 1
hw.snd.verbose: 2
hw.snd.maxautovchans: 4
hw.snd.default_unit: 0

/usr/sbin/mixer
mixer: /dev/mixer: No such file or directory

The kernel config is more or less GENERIC.

Any advice is much appreciated :)

All the best,
    Michèle

Dr. Michèle Heurs
Max-Planck-Institut für Gravitationsphysik
(Albert-Einstein-Institut)
Callinstr. 38
30167 Hannover
Germany