Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 2002 18:50:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mikko_Ty=F6l=E4j=E4rvi?= <mbsd@pacbell.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: PPP, dynamic IPs, and handling renumbering

On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, Louis LeBlanc wrote:

> I have a new question.  I have ppp set up on interface tun0, got my IP
> and all, handling the DSL connection quite nicely - so far.
>
> Now the question:  Since the IP is dynamic, I have some things that
> need doing anytime it changes, like update the Apache config and
> restart it, update the zoneedit dns records so I still get my mail,
> etc.  Where do I handle this? Is there an exit hook I can specify for
> ppp to call when it gets a new IP?

The "hooks" go in /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup and /etc/ppp/ppp.linkdown.  The
ppp(8) man page is kind of long, but well worth the read.  There are
assorted sample files in /usr/share/examples/ppp/ too.

> I can't even find the dhcp lease or the network broadcast info.  When
> I was with AT&T, it was basic DHCP and it all went into
> /var/db/dhclient.leases.  The only place I can get the IP from now is
> ifconfig tun0

[...]

You are not getting your address via DHCP, as you are using PPP which
does its own address negotiation.  One of these days I will understand
the point of running PPP over ethernet...

  $.02,
  /Mikko