Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 17:39:35 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Alfred Perlstein" <bright@mu.org>, "Hiten Pandya" <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [SUGGESTION] - JFS for FreeBSD

> * Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com> [011210 16:02] wrote:
> > hi all,
> >
> > this is a wild idea...suggestion...
> >
> > i wanted to ask if there were any _plans_ to port
> > JFS (Journaled File System) to FreeBSD...
> >
> > as for JFS, it is developed by IBM for Linux and
> > is licensed under GPL, so we could put this into
> > src/gnu/
> >
> > It is used on IBM MainFrames and Enterprise servers
> > for
> > high performance and maximum throughput...
>
> I'm glad you took the time to read the marketting literature.
>
> The problem is that porting it is going to be a bit more complicated
> than just dumping it into src/gnu.
>
> Feel free to take a shot at porting it though, let us know
> when you're done.

I'm gainfully employed by IBM (although not for FreeBSD pursuits), and have
had this on my TODO list for a while.

The licence issue is a real sticky point, especially since the GPL and BSD
licences are like oil and water.  Because of the GPL licence, JFS support
can never become part of the GENERIC kernel, and any related support tools
will have to exist as separate binaries (newfs.jfs, fsck.jfs), as is
currently done with the EXT2FS filesystem.

--
Matt Emmerton