Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 1996 15:28:20 +0100 (MET)
From:      Thomas Graichen <graichen@omega.physik.fu-berlin.de>
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        koden@well.com, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gcc v2.7.2 and libg++ v2.7.1

hasn't Chuck Robey said ? ...

> On Sun, 7 Jan 1996, Chaos Boy wrote:
>

> > Does anyone have fixes for the gcc v2.7.2 and libg++ v2.7.1 distributions
> > so that I can compile it for FreeBSD 2.1? I'm having a problem installing
> > libg++ v2.7.1 where it exits because of a problem with the .weak assembly
> > directive. Any help appreciated and if you have fixed makefiles or source
> > files, please send them to me via email (attachments). Thanks.
>
> I understand that gcc-2.7.2 builds correctly right out of the box.  I am
> going to send you the text of Doug Rabson's recent post, where he gave a
> tool for building the libg you want, but I'll send it separately, cause
> the list has already seen it.

it builds but you get problems if you want to build libg++ because the
weak symbols (and maybe other stuff) are set wrong in the freebsd.h
file of the gcc distribution (the weak problem you may fix by
commenting out the WEAK something part there) - some people have fixed
this for themselves - some fixes were posted to various lists here -
but i think nobody sends the fixes back to the FSF so that we can
_really_ build any new gcc out of the box on FreeBSD - so - please -
anybody who adapts FSF code to FreeBSD - send the fixes back to the
FSF so that we don't have to do all that again for each new version

just my point

                                                   __||
  Perfection is reached, not when there is no  __||     thomas graichen
  longer anything to add, but when there   __||    freie universitaet berlin
  is no longer anything to take away   __||           fachbereich physik
                                   __||
  - Antoine de Saint-Exupery - __||        graichen@mail.physik.fu-berlin.de