Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 1999 00:45:12 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        mckusick@flamingo.McKusick.COM (Kirk McKusick)
Cc:        msmith@FreeBSD.ORG, match@elen.utah.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mounting one FS on more than one system

As Kirk McKusick wrote ...

> Mounting on more than one system is generally problematical unless
> you are willing to have all systems read-only. The problem is cache
> coherence between the machines. If one changes a block, the other
> machines will not see it. Basically, this is why we have the NFS
> filesystem. That lets a disk be mounted on one machine, but shared
> out to others. If you wanted to write a protocol that would allow
> for multiple machines, then you would need to have some central
> coordinator running some sort of coherency protocol with a complexity
> akin to that of NFS.

I wonder how Tru64 is doing it. IIRC V5.0 Tru64 can do a cluster filesystem.
A CFS must have solved the coherency issue in some way.

Older revs had distributed raw devices (for Oracle and the like) but that
had all I/O go through one cluster member that did all the I/O for that DRD.
The I/O from the other cluster members was done via the Memory Channel to
the DRD-serving machine.

Interesting..

Wilko