Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 1996 00:38:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Samy Touati <lmcsato@lmc.ericsson.se>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: garbage on 2400b dial-in connection

On Mon, 15 Jan 1996, Samy Touati wrote:

> My 2400 modem does not  use any kind of compression, and the speed
> between the terminal and the modem is 2400 bauds.
> It's a 2400 supra modem, and I didn't find any mention to the flow control.
> The remote side has a 14.4 kb modem with hardware flow control enabled.

Well, if you have a 2400 BPS modem, and you're absolutely sure you have
no compression going on, then you wouldn't really need flow control, and
any overflow must be happening at the far end of the link.  That's where
I would now suspect problems.  I bet their flow control isn't really
working.  Three minutes with a technician and a RS-232 breakout box would
prove it.  Breakout boxes are running less than 100 dollars right now.

You would insert the breakout box between the far end computer and the
far end modem, dial in, then begin a really long listing.  You should see
the CTS light blinking slowly on and off, maybe at a 1 second on, 4
seconds off rate.  If you didn't see that, and the data from the computer
pause in synchronization with it, then the interface at the far end
computer is broken.  If you saw the CTS light blink, but the far end
computer didn't stop, this would mean that the modem was yelling "stop"
but the computer wasn't listening to it.  If you never even saw the CTS
light blink, the modem is being incorrectly optioned not to use hardware
flow control.

There might be a software way of finding the problem (any others out
there want to help? but this is how I'd do it.

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu -- I run FreeBSD on n3lxx and Journey2
The Dilbert Zone is Dilbert's new WWW home! The area
features never-before-seen original sketches of Dilbert, a photo tour
of Scott Adams' studio, Dilbert Trivia and memorabilia, high
school photos and much more!:
<URL:http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/>;