Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 08:26:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
To:        gh <grasshacker@linkfast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why encourage stupid people to use *BSD WAS:Re: IE for FreeBSDPetition

On Fri, 26 May 2000, gh wrote:

>Thank you, good sir, for completely ignoring my statements.
>
>I said that we should not encourage the *worst* of *any* usergroup to
>use FreeBSD. I said specifically that I encouraged bringing people to
>FreeBSD, but not forcefully shoving the lowest denominator into the
>FreeBSD world.

You argument is still arrogant and elitist. All denominators should come
and we should welcome them.

Here is why. Say one of these LCDs comes to FreeBSD, tries real hard,
doesn't quite get it and quits. Then that person one day is an exec over a
group of sysadmins. That person will have learned an appreciation for
unix. This is a good thing.

Say one of these LCDs is a dotcommer who is destined for greatness. It
would be a shame to let that one go because we were snobs.

I sure wish my boss had tried FreeBSD at least once. As far as computing
goes he is the person of which you speak. Had he a slight appreciation for
what I do, my life would be so much better.

Hey, if you don't want to help the LCD, then don't. No skin off your nose.
And by the way, trust Jordan, Greenman et al to do a good job. They don't
ruin the performance of FreeBSD to make it easier. So don't worry.

>I apologize if either I was not clear enough in my first several e-mails
>or if you and others truly have missed my point. Either way, I hope it
>is clear by now.

Just because I disagreed with you does not mean I missed your point. I got
it. "Your way is not the way of the Huron," to make an arcane movie quote.

If someone comes to us with an open mind, then we should welcome them with
an open mind. I have helped some very clueless people as some people have
helped a very clueless me. This is the way of the Huron as I see it.

I have been told to RTFM along the way. In my folly, I have even put down
people in this camp who have been committers and authors of O'Reilly
books. They still tolerated me and my sophomorisms. I thank them for their
tolerance. They made a sysadmin out of me for free and now I get paid.
Pretty damn good deal if you ask me. Thanks Jordan, Dag-Erling, Greg,
Doug, David, Wes, Terry, and many others! (A list of big shots who took
valuable time to help stupid me.)

*BSD already has a rep for being snobby. Let's not proliferate that by
actually being snobby.

Thank You, 	| http://students.washington.edu/jcwells/
Jason Wells