Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 2002 13:25:49 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
To:        dp@penix.org
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPS time.

In message: <Pine.LNX.4.43L0.0203291757560.4473-100000@saruman.xwin.net>
            Paul Halliday <dp@penix.org> writes:
: 	I just connected my gps (garmin gps III plus) to my serial port
: and realized that simply cat'ing cua0 displays date/time/position of the
: unit. (neato). Anyway, how accurate would it be to use the time from this
: output for ntp as opposed to my current setup using ntp servers.

Generally the output time from these receivers via the serial port
isn't very good from a precise time keeping point of view.  There's
about 10ms of variation in the reported time, which makes them very
very noisy for the sort of work that ntp does.  For a local network,
it shouldn't be too bad, but expect to see a lot of strange things
happen because the error can be so large.

Warner