Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 1999 20:04:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        obrien@freebsd.org
Cc:        tejblum@arc.hq.cti.ru, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stpcpy()

> On Sun, Oct 31, 1999 at 02:28:54AM +0400, Dmitrij Tejblum wrote:
> > >    First it's stpcpy, then GNU getopt, then ...
> >
> > Yes. So what? You are suffering from the "NIH" disease. (BTW, stpcpy is
> > not first and is not GNUism/Linuxism).
>
> Then where did it come from?

Borland Turbo-C, and thereafter it was quickly adopted by Microsoft,
as both compiler companies raced to make their libraries supersets
of the others libraries, so they could make the argument that
their competitors compiler couldn't compile "standard" Windows
source code.

Contrary to popular opinion, it certainly was not a function in
the libraries of "Wizard C", "Aztec C", "Lattice C", "Oregon C",
"VAX C", or the majority of compilers that did not also have
Windows versions.

I also don't rememebr it on any of the 140+ UNIX platforms I've
compiled code on in the last 20 years, with the exception of Linux
(and I didn't inhale while using Linux).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.