Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 06:48:03 -0400
From:      "Nelson, Trent ." <tnelson@switch.com>
To:        "'Ted Faber'" <faber@ISI.EDU>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        "Nelson, Trent ." <tnelson@switch.com>, "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@freebsd.org>, "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD usage in safety-critical environments

	I'd have to concur.  I'm working on a large rail engineering project
in the UK that is implementing a two-phased deployment of a Railway Control
Centre System.  The first phase will be using a combination of Tru64 UNIX
and Linux systems, with an investigation being taken place for the second
phase to move completely to Linux.

	There is a huge difference between systems rated at SIL 1 and 2
(which is what ATC/rail CCS would fall under) and those rated at 3 and 4.  I
was not referring to life-support or life-critical systems, as these will
almost certainly be a proprietary hardware/software package that has been
certified and accredited to a high level of safety integrity.  What I was
referring to were systems running on UNIX that control and interface to
these safety-critical systems.

	For railway, Control Centres may suggest an erroneous route that
would result in two trains colliding (although such a system will be
commissioned on the basis that it wouldn't allow such a route to be
suggested), but the 'vital', safety-critical interlocking would prevent such
a route being set.  The resulting safety-integrity level for the Control
Centre would be SIL 2.  The analogy between ATCs & embedded aircraft control
systems isn't as tight as there isn't a physical interface between the two
(well, at least as far as I know).

	The deployment of FreeBSD, or any BSD variant, (or ANYTHING other
than Linux) in environments such as this, is what I was originally getting
at.

	Oh, and Terry, I think you'd be astonished if I informed you of how
many rail control systems in the US and around the world use either Linux or
some of the commercial variants such as Tru64 UNIX or Solaris.

> Ted Faber                                                faber@isi.edu
> USC/ISI Computer Scientist                   http://www.isi.edu/~faber
> (310) 448-9190         PGP Keys: http://www.isi.edu/~faber/pubkeys.asc

	Regards,