Date:      Sat, 19 Sep 1998 20:21:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ben Pepa <maillist@msn.bc.ca>
To:        Michael Henry <mhenry@white.ug.cs.usyd.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MAJOR PROBS!

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Michael Henry wrote:

> Earlier this evening I attempted to upgrade my system using cvsup.
> I got a message about not being able to find an IP address.
>
> That is not the problem. But I think it caused this one...
>
> Now I can't log in!

You should be able to login as root on the console.  Otherwise, login with
the -s at the boot prompt to be dropped into single user mode.

> When I try to I get:
>
> 	Sep 19 21:52:06 playground login: _secure_path: cannot stat
> 	/home/mhenry/.login_conf: Permission denied
> 	Sep 19 21:52:06 playground login: _secure_path: cannot stat
> 	/home/mhenry/.login_conf: Permission denied
>
> 	login: /usr/local/bin/bash: No such file or directory
>
> I can't su to my account either:
>
> 	su: /usr/local/bin/bash: Permission denied
>
> I have checked and bash exists and all the permissions in it's path
> are correct, and I never used .login_conf anyway, so I'm all out
> of ideas.
>
> Would anyone like to have a guess?

I just had this happen.  For me, it turned out the permissions on the home
directories were wrong and everything was owned by root.  Check to make
sure.

The permissions for bash were okay for me.  Turned out that the
permissions on /usr/libexec were also owned by root.  When I chown'ed it
back to bin:bin, all was well.  Bash seems to need ld.so (like many things
do) and only logging in as root on the console would work till it was
fixed.

Ben