Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:29:02 +0100
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GENERIC build broken

I have stared with fascination on this email for a full 30 minutes.

What could possibly be going on in the mind which came up with the
idea to take a five year old email, change Matt Dillons name and
repost it to our mailing list ?

In some weird way I feel honoured to have made such an impact on
this persons life that they would go to such bother.

And equally fascinating is the thought there is a town somewhere
in the world, where this derailed mind sneaks out at night to
spray-paint obscene things about me on walls I'll never see.

The mind boggles...

"To a person sitting in darkness" is a famous piece by Mark Twain
and I can never attempt to match it, but nontheless:

	To a troll sitting in darkness:

	I don't doubt you have reason to hate me, and I doubt you
	will open your mind and listen to what I say to you, but
	I will say it anyway, that is the least I can do in return
	for your effort:

	On a day where the only real newspaper in Europe broke the
	news that we have a decade or less to do something about
	global warming, while the rest of the press still dithers
	about which catastrophe Bush is going to unleash first in
	his second term.

	One a day where 14 people were killed by snowstorms, in the
	USA and thousands died from AIDS and you took the effort
	to curse my name in the most circumspect manner.

	There are so many other ways you could have used your time.

	You could have written code or documentation, you could
	have listened to music, played it yourself, read a good
	book maybe ?

	You could have offered an elderly neighbor help with
	something, you could have given a helping hand in a local
	shelter or played with the kids in the park, just for the
	sheer heck of it.

	You could have gone all the way and signed up to some cause
	worthy of a whole life of dedication: religion, emergency
	response, medicine, education or the toughest of all,
	parenthood.

	You did not.

	You mananged this day to locate a five year old email from
	me to Matt Dillon, and for some reason which we cannot even
	imagine the depth off, it upset you a LOT.

	And your anger gave you energy.

	And the energy inpired you to do something!

	You would right this wrong!

	And you came up with the most diabolic scheme to transpose
	all of the anger and frustration away from your own miserable
	life and onto me, by changing Matt Dillons name and repost
	it to our mailing lists.

	I can almost tell how good that felt for you.

	You are forgiven,

	Poul-Henning