Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 2003 14:46:36 +0800
From:      Khairil Yusof <kaeru@pd.jaring.my>
To:        Bob Perry <rperry4@earthlink.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Portupgrade Broke?

--=-+M+CBvg5HaLjB+NREKYP

On Sat, 2003-08-09 at 22:07, Bob Perry wrote:
> I run FreeBSD 4.7 RELEASE.  Just ran the portversion command for the=20
> first time since last Saturday and the ouptut indicated that my=20
> installed packages were up-to-date.  Thought it odd so I ran pkg_version=20
> command and picked up 9 packages in need up upgrade and several=20
> "orphaned" packages listed.  Is there a known problem with the=20
> portupgrade system or was there some warning I missed previously?

If I'm not wrong, portversion/pkg_version relies on ports index (man 8
portupgrade) which needs to be up to date in order for portversion to be
accurate. This is not done on a daily basis for the ports tree (as it
takes some time).

What you should try to do is check that your pkgdb is ok and fix any
problems:

#pkgdb -F

then update the ports index (which takes a while)

#portsdb -Uu

Then run your portversion/pkg_version which should give more accurate
results.

Hope this helps.

--
"Optimized, readable, on time; Pick any two."=20

FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT i386=20
2:42PM up 7 days, 16:15, 4 users, load averages: 1.05, 0.60, 0.63

--=-+M+CBvg5HaLjB+NREKYP

--=-+M+CBvg5HaLjB+NREKYP--