Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:33:09 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        "Michael A. Smith" <msmith@code-fu.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr filesystem crashing

Michael A. Smith wrote:
> I'm running FreeBSD 4.7-RC on an Athlon system that serves as our office
> fileserver (it has a Promise IDE RAID card and two mirrored 1-month old
> 40GB drives). I'm having some filesystem problems that fsck doesn't seem
> to fix. There is something going wrong with /dev/ar0s1g (my /usr slice).

You don't mention the make/model of the drives.  There are some (for example,
IBM) drives that are known to be troublesome.  Check the list archives for
some of the complaints that have come through here.

> If left alone, with little activity, the machine seems to do OK. I can
> cause it to crash at any time, however, but doing something like running
> cvsup or trying to upgrade a big port. It crashes and dumps me into
> single-user mode to "run fsck manually."
>
> I've been running fsck repeatedly. Each time I run it, it finds problems
> with the /dev/ar0s1g slice. I can answer "Yes" to the recovery questions
> (or "No" for that matter) and reboot, but I can always crash the system
> again. I can even run fsck serveral times in a row and it reports
> problems (different inode numbers) each time.

Hopefully you haven't been running fsck while that partition is mounted?
Make sure to unmount the /usr partition before running fsck or you'll
create problems.

> There are a few other problems the system is having (SSH, cups, and
> nmbd), but I suspect they're related to this disk issue. I've tried
> updating to 4.7-STABLE, but the filesystem locks up before I can get
> through it.
>
> Any thoughts (besides re-formatting, which I may do next week)?

In my experience, if you've managed (by whatever means) to badly corrupt
the filesystem, the only solution is to newfs it.  There are some things
(apparently) that fsck can't fix.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies